Monday, July 30, 2012

Airline Experience - The Final Chapter

So recently I had a really bad airline experience having to do with weight. I really wanted to share that with you here. I recently flew home to New York, and on my way back I was pulled as side during a lay over in Tampa. A Southwest rep was called on board to talk to me about my future flights and how I would need to buy two seats. She then reserved the seat next to me for free and left. I spent the rest of that board telling people that they could not sit next to me. When I got home my step mom told me I should write a letter and I decided that was a fabulous idea. The following is a copy of what I wrote:


My flight experience yesterday was bad from the beginning. I got to the airport, found my gate and immediately realized there was a problem. My gate and flight number were listed to be going to Tampa. So I checked with customer service that we had a stop in Tampa. That's weird, I thought, that was not listed anywhere on my itinerary or on any correspondence I received from South West at all. But okay, I was willing to go to Tampa if that's what needed to happen. But when we got to Tampa, things got worse. While waiting for head count and for new passengers to board, I was approached by a South West Rep. She informed me that even though I was not informed by anyone on my flight into New York (days before), or on my flight to Tampa, that going forward I was going to need to buy an addition seat. I have flown with South West a few times recently, and a flight a few day earlier, and no one had informed me of this. In addition, I have lost a bit of weight recently and was quite excited that these last few flights were my first in a long time where I did not need a seat belt extender. Back to my conversation. I was dumbstruck. I didn't know how to respond except nod. The rep gave me a "informational pamphlet" (which only told me how to get a refund if I did pay for an additional seat), and she then reserved the seat next to me for free (which was nice, I guess). She then explained to me that this was for the safety of other passengers if there was a need to escape the plane. I found that interesting, as I was in the last row, in a window seat (since I always check in early). When the rep departed, all I could do was cry. And I spent the remaining time of the new boarding, explaining to people through my tears that they could not sit there. It was obvious to me that there was plenty of room next to me and that people did not mind sharing space with me. I have never been so embarrassed in my whole life. I, and many people in my family and group of friends, use south west. Many are of size and no one has ever been treated so badly up until this point. I was spoken to, in public, where people could hear, after flying with South West often as of recently, and after I have lost a great deal of weight. I do want someone to contact me, and I will continue to escalate this till someone does something about this situation that is suitable.

Now I became concerned over this weekend because I had written this email on the night of the 17th. Now the 27th had come and past and still no answer. So I wrote another email to the tune of "I haven't heard back in the 5 days quoted, and I want an answer immediately". Well a couple days later I did hear back, but they did not email. They called. I was honestly impressed with that to begin with. I didn't answer the call as it was a 214 number I didn't recognize. The gentleman left him name, the corporate number and the direct extension. I was now even more so impressed. 

When I called back I got through to the rep right away. He explained how very sorry he was and relayed the information in my email, as if he had it memorized. He told me how sorry he was to hear this happened around people, how embarrassing this must have been and how he couldn't fathom how this came to happen. He even went as far as to say he was so excited how well my weight loss journey has been going. He stated he wanted to give me "a love comp" of $200 dollars for my experience. I explained that I never wrote to get money from them. I was more so concerned about my future travel, and what the exact line was for needing another seat. He explained that you need to be able to put the arm wrest down (which I was) and not need a seat belt extender (which I was). He could tell my unease with that answer and said that if anyone were to come to me again, baring my weight isn't an issue going further, to let them know that customer relations said I did not need an extra seat.  


I was truly wowed today. I can't express my gratitude to this Southwest rep. He seemed so genuine and caring. I will gladly continue my business with Southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment